# RESPIRATION = living process in which energy is released from the food we eat.
THE STRUcTURE OF THE HUMAN RESPIRATORY SYSTEM.
@ nostrils.~the walls of the nostrils are lined with hairs to trap dust particles in the air.
@nasal cavity. ~the interior are of the nose.
@bronchi. ~2 main air passages into the lungs .each bronchus branches into smaller tubes called bronchioles
THE PASSAGE OF AIR
nostrils -> nasal cavity -> trachea -> bronchus -> bronchiole -> alveolus
INHALATION = breath in air
EXHALATION = breath out air
- intercostal muscles contracts
- rib cage moves outwards
- diaphragm contracts and flatten
- volume of thoracic cavity increases
- air pressure in thoracic cavity decrease
- intercostal muscles relaxes
- rib cage moves inwards
- diaphragm relaxes and curves upwards
- volume of thoracic cavity decreases
- air pressure in thoracic cavity increase